First Combo iPhone iPad Users Group Meeting
|Notes by Peggy|
iPhone & iPad 1st Class together
Went over some random basics for our newer attendees:
Swipe up from the very bottom of your screen, a gray rectangle with icons appears:
touch any of these icons to toggle between "On" (white) and "Off" (black):
- Airplane - airplane mode. You will have no wifi access when this is on. Use this mode when on a plane and you can still use your iProduct to read ebooks, pdfs, etc. even when your phones are supposed to be shut off.
- Radar looking icon - indicates wifi access is present when "On"
- triangular sideways pretzel - bluetooth
- quarter moon - do not disturb (not only silences phone ringer, but also any sound alerts from games, texts, etc.)
- padlock with arrowed circle around it - Portrait orientation lock (screen won't rotate when you turn iProduct).
- ONLY on the iPad (not iPhone) Bell with a line through it - mutes the device
- Note: When you touch one of these icons, a description of the function appears briefly in the middle at the top of the gray.
- If you have an iPhone5 or newer iPad, you may have an Airdrop icon
- slider buttons to increase/decrease your screen's brightness (brighter uses more battery between charges) or to adjust the volume for your music.
- sideways triangles - play, forward to next, or go back buttons for your music.
Touch any of the lower icons to activate (remember to get out of the function you've activated - hit the home screen once):
- clock (set at 10:50) - brings up the timer
- camera - opens the camera
SIDE NOTE: When you've just turned on your iDevice, or it has been idle for awhile, it goes into lock mode and the screen will be black. Touch the home button and the locked screen appears. When your device is on the lock screen, there is a camera icon on the lower right. Simply touch,hold and slide it up to access your camera immediately (so you won't miss that fantastic shot by having to slide, type in password, then find the camera icon and wait for it to open)
- iPhone ONLY: flashlight - built in flashlight (only on the iPhone as iPad doesn't have a light to activate)
- iPhone ONLY: calculator (nicely included now, so don't have to download free calculator apps that bombard you with ads or enticements to pay).
To close the gray bar - touch the black arrow at the top.
Messages between Apple iProducts (iPhone, iPad, iPod) are free. You can tell the person you're texting has an iProduct when your sent messages are in blue bubbles.
If your sent message is in a green bubble, they don't have an iProduct and the texts will be charged against your data plan. (Good to know if you have limited data minutes).
To DELETE INDIVIDUAL messages: Touch and hold a message. The options COPY or MORE will appear. Choose MORE. Circles will appear beside each individual message. You can click the ones you want to delete, then touch the TRASH CAN in the lower left. IF you click on DELETE ALL at the top left of the screen, ALL the messages with that person will be deleted! (PROBABLY NOT A GOOD IDEA.) To exit without deleting any, touch CANCEL at the upper right of the screen, then DONE. Hit the Home Button to get out of messages.
You can search in Calendar for past OR upcoming events.
- Open Calendar.
- Touch the Magnifying Glass
- Type in your search (ie haircut). (Watch your screen because matches will show up before you're done typing.)
New in Safari with iPhone ios7:
When you go on the Web via Safari now, there are several icons on the bottom of the screen.
- < or > symbols move you back and forth between recent websites.
- box with arrow going out the top - share. You can share this website via message, email, twitter, facebook. From Share can also - Bookmark the website, Add it to Reading List, Add to Home Screen, Copy or Print it. Hit CANCEL at bottom to return to Safari.
- Open book icon - takes you to bookmarks or reading list. Click DONE in upper right to return to Safari.
- But the REALLY neat new one is the icon that looks like a page of paper hovering over another page. When you touch this, you will see previously visited web pages cascading (as if looking into a file cabinet). You can simply touch the web page you want to go to and it will appear. Also, you can close any of them by clicking the X in the upper left of the chosen web page as it "hangs" there.
Have separate email addresses for personal and "business" (ie coupons that will be sent to you, etc).
Get a Gmail account. It's free and will come in VERY useful in the future.
You can FaceTime (icon looks like a white video camera on a green background) someone in Canada for free! Again, it is iProduct to iProduct. Still it will need a WiFi connection, so will use data minutes if you have a limited data wifi plan.
If you can't find a certain icon, use Spotlight Search:
- Swipe down in second row of icons.
- Search bar appears at top.
- Type in what you're looking for.
to FACETIME someone:
- Open FaceTime
- All Contacts will appear (on the right in iPad)
- Type to Search for the person you want to "call (If you accidentally bring up a contact you don't want, hit "back to All Contacts" at the top)
- Press the FaceTime symbol
- You can now talk & see each other
- Whoever hits the red phone symbol first, ends the conversation.
HOME BUTTON (the circle at bottom of device indented or not depending on whether you have fingerprint mode):
- Click once to get you out of an app.
- Click twice and all open apps will appear smaller, and side by side. You can move back and forth between apps, by entering this mode, then touching the app you want to use. Also while in this mode, CLOSE an app by swiping up on it.
- NOTE: Close your apps when done using because when you leave them running in the background, they use a lot of battery.
|Evernote helps you remember everything and get organized effortlessly. Download Evernote.|