Another meeting with no structure, but lots of fun, laughter and knowledge sharing. Again we all shared tips and different apps that each had discovered.
· Went over some issues with iMessage, where some of the users new to the iPad did not know about or could not send FREE messages to other iProducts. Reviewed settings to ensure iMessage was turned on. For more info on iMessage go to http://www.apple.com/ios/messages/
· Reviewed from last week the question of how to create groups and how to send group emails.
o First Groups within the Contacts list can only be created from your PC or Mac. However after doing a bit of research and downloading several contact apps, the third party app that gives the best options for creating Groups was the app called
A2Z Contacts, see below for link.
Next on the issue of sending out Group emails, you can easily send emails to multiple addresses on your iPad but the mail app only allows for adding one email address at a time. This can be time consuming if you send emails to large groups or routinely send emails to the same group of people, so again you need a third party app. Again A2Z Contacts allows you to do group emails as well as group text messages.
A2Z Contacts - Contact Manager, Edit Groups, Send Group Emails & Text Messages by Playa Apps
· We talked about printing from the iPad, iPhone and how you needed an AirPrint capable printer. We also discussed benefits of getting LaserJet especially if you already have a good printer for printing photos... A link to the list of compatible printers is below. http://ipod.about.com/od/usingios4/f/Airprint-Compatible-Printers.htm
· While checking on my network to see if it was working and if my printer was on MY Network, I discovered an app called Fing. It's an excellent tool to discover network devices, scan services and analyze hosts. If you are not sure if your printer is on your network, this is a good way to check. Originally I could not print. After installing this app I discovered my printer was on its own network, not mine.
Fing - Network Scanner by Overlook Soft
· Did a short review of Evernote with some who missed earlier sessions, on sending emails directly into Evernote
· Reviewed Find my Friends and the benefits of having friends and family aware that you arrived at your destination safely.
· When you get access to a WiFi printer, two good apps to get are Avery
Avery Templates Everywhere by Avery®
Design & Print by Avery Dennison Office & Consumer Products
· Finally a discussion was started on making free phone calls within the US and Canada from our iPads. This is especially useful if you have limited minutes or people you wish to call do not have an iPhone or iPad or live in Canada. We were introduced to Magic Jack (an iPhone app) that works on the both. You do have to sign up for an account, but afterwards it will work on both the iPhone and the iPad.
· FREE Calls with magicJack by magicJack
Next week we are going to work on inputting recipes and magazine articles into Evernote and introduce everyone to Evernote Food and who knows what else will be introduced or discovered.
Yes are going to still meet again next Sunday.